Is it possible to generate cross assembly sequence diagrams

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Hi,

Thanks for writing SequenceViz.  It is cool.

I have been creating sequence diagrams with sdedit.  However, SequenceViz looks like a better option for existing code.  I would like to be able to generate sequence diagrams for calls that crosses one or more assembly boundaries.  Is it possible to do this with SV?

Also, when I create and then print an XPS, it is always super-tiny.  Is this just me? (I am printing from IE).

Ben
Developer
Nov 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Hi Ben,

I'm glad you like this tool. About the printing, in the latest source code, an issue that also targets this, has been solved already. A paginator class is being used to spread out the diagram over more pages if necessary. Also a print menu option has been added to the context menu. When this will be released is not sure at the moment.

The cross assembly feature is definitely available, but somewhat hidden. Within the config file of the application there is an appSettings tag 'IncludeAssemblyReferences' which is designed for this purpose. When set to True the tool will load any referenced assembly upon loading the selected one. Any sequence that involves methods from other assemblies will have these inside the Sequence diagram.

If this isn't working the way you would expect, then please drop us another line. Or create a new issue in the Issue Tracker. That way we may get to work on that.

thanks,
Meile
Nov 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM
Awesome! Thanks Meile.

I had just downloaded the built the latest source (I was going to start hacking away). So this is great news.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ben

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM, meile <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Ben,

I'm glad you like this tool. About the printing, in the latest source code, an issue that also targets this, has been solved already. A paginator class is being used to spread out the diagram over more pages if necessary. Also a print menu option has been added to the context menu. When this will be released is not sure at the moment.

The cross assembly feature is definitely available, but somewhat hidden. Within the config file of the application there is an appSettings tag 'IncludeAssemblyReferences' which is designed for this purpose. When set to True the tool will load any referenced assembly upon loading the selected one. Any sequence that involves methods from other assemblies will have these inside the Sequence diagram.

If this isn't working the way you would expect, then please drop us another line. Or create a new issue in the Issue Tracker. That way we may get to work on that.

thanks,
Meile

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sequenceviz@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sequenceviz@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Ben Taylor
http://bentaylor.org/
Nov 24, 2008 at 5:43 PM
Meile - SV is crashing my laptop when generating a particular sequence (after sucking 2.x gig of RAM). I think it is due to the large number of items in the sequence. I am unable to send you the assembly to test, due to copyright issues. However...

I have resolved this by excluding a load of types. However, I also did an optimization that you may want to copy (if it works for you). I noticed that the DiagramSequenceNode class was calling this.InitializeContextMenu(); in the Constructor. This meant it was creating loads of ContextMenu objects, even when they would never be used. I moved this call to DiagramSequenceNode.OnMouseRightButtonUp (i.e. to the point where it is needed) and things seemed to get noticeably better (not timed it, but seemed noticeably quicker).

Ben

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM, BenTaylor <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Awesome! Thanks Meile.

I had just downloaded the built the latest source (I was going to start hacking away). So this is great news.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ben

Developer
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:22 AM
Ben,

Thanks for noting the issue and posting about it here. I think it is valid to say that this is indeed an issue with the current code, since on the web you can find information about things like this as well. I have changed the code to only create the ContextMenu when it is needed (in the OnMouseRightButtonUp) and only created once by checking it with a boolean value.

Thanks again,
Meile
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:34 AM
Cool! Thanks Meile.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:23 AM, meile <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ben,

Thanks for noting the issue and posting about it here. I think it is valid to say that this is indeed an issue with the current code, since on the web you can find information about things like this as well. I have changed the code to only create the ContextMenu when it is needed (in the OnMouseRightButtonUp) and only created once by checking it with a boolean value.

Thanks again,
Meile

--
Ben Taylor
http://bentaylor.org/